Thursday, June 28, 2012

Are the Experts ever wrong??


I’m taking a break today from the usual Wedding topics because something interesting struck me this morning.  I can recall reading several (if not many) articles back in January of February of 2012, telling us that some “experts” were predicting that gas prices would reach $5.00 per gallon by July 4, 2012.  Of course everything you read on the internet is true and I even think this bit of news was broadcast on the local news.

Being the sucker that I am for listening to experts, I expected a sharp drop in the stock market.  After all, another expert told me that when gas prices rise, the economy goes into the proverbial crapper.   So I moved all of my 401K money from a really aggressive account into the plain old interest bearing account.  Luckily in the last stock market crash, my money was sitting nicely collecting 1% interest a year, while many of my colleagues were taking a beating. 

So driving into the office this morning, I see a sign for gas that was reading $3.25 per gallon.  I think the gas station must have had the numbers reversed because the “experts” were not predicting this, and we are less than a week away from July 4, 2012.  It could also possibly be that the area of the country that I live in might also be having a Blue Light Special on gas or something.  Granted it is not $1.00 a gallon, but it is certainly much better than $5.00 a gallon. 

But geez, could the “experts” really be wrong???   Who are these clowns that gave the prediction?  I sure hope that they are fired from their jobs by now for being completely incompetent.  Maybe it was a scare tactic or a marketing ploy.  Maybe their crystal ball broke. 

Maybe it is time for me to realize that not everything the expert says (especially a prediction) is fact.  In this case, I may have been a little better off going into the city to a fortune teller and getting their take on the situation.  I don’t know what the answer is, but I do know it is time to listen to the so called experts, a little less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment